top of page
Application for Jalma Scholarships
One of the goals of the Band Alumni Society is to provide financial assistance to qualified members of the University of Minnesota Bands. The band alumni scholarship is named the Michael M. Jalma Memorial scholarship in honor of the former University of Minnesota band director. We have awarded as much as $5,000.00 of scholarships per year to
To qualify for a Jalma scholarship, applicants must:
Have registered for at least one semester of band at the University of Minnesota in the past two years.
Plan to register for at least one semester of band in the next year (scholarships are given during the next semester recipient is registered for marching or concert band).
Be making progress towards an undergraduate degree - not on academic probation (All applicants must provide a copy of their transcript to verify band participation and academic progress. Grade point average is not a criterion for scholarship selection).
Applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
Contribution to the University Band program
Contribution to other areas (in and out of the University)
Here's how it works:
1. Fill out the attached application for scholarship.
2. Return completed application and a copy of your transcript to email@example.com or to the Ensemble or
marching band office no later than October 21, 2020. Email return is preferable but will have no bearing on
whether or not a scholarship is offered. If the transcript is not email-able, please turn in at the ensemble or
marching band office. An official/certified transcript is not required, the student view is sufficient.
3. The Scholarship committee will review submitted applications and select finalists.
4. Selected applicants will be notified and individually interviewed by the committee during the second or third week of November.
5. Recipients will be announced at the marching band banquet, or via phone/email if the recipient is not in marching band.
6. Scholarships will be awarded to recipients at a concert or band function during the next semester they are
registered for concert or marching band.
Keep in mind that these scholarships are open to all band members, from any University concert or marching band.
So don't feel you are "underqualified" if you don't play in the Wind Ensemble, aren’t a section leader, etc. . . .
Good luck, and don't forget to return the attached application no later than October 25th.
Minnesota Band Alumni Society
bottom of page